Why won’t my puppy listen to me is a common question that most first-time Miniature Schnauzer owners ask. Before I answer your question, let me ask you a few instead:
- Do you have to raise your voice every time you want your Miniature Schnauzer to listen to you?
- Does your Miniature Schnauzer always come or sit on command – anytime and anywhere you want him to?
If your answers are mostly in the negative, its time you seriously reconsider your role as a sincere Miniature Schnauzer trainer and an ideal pet parent.
Train Your Miniature Schnauzer Puppy to Listen to you
Before you begin any training, you must first establish yourself as the “ALPHA dog” of your family. Your Miniature Schnauzer must know that you’re the leader of the pack and it is YOU who is in charge.
Here is a list of simple DOs and DON’Ts that you must follow if you want to be the Alpha:
- Always go out or come in through the door first – remember you are the leader;
- Always eat first – give your Miniature Schnauzer something to eat only after you’ve finished your meal;
- Don’t circle around your Miniature Schnauzer when he is lying on the floor – make your Miniature Schnauzer move out of your way instead;
- Don’t let your Miniature Schnauzer set the rules – pay attention to him when you think fit and not whenever he demands;
- Don’t permit your Miniature Schnauzer to sleep with you in your bed – demarcate his sleeping area clearly.
Once you successfully established yourself as the Alpha, training your Miniature Schnauzer and making him listen will be a lot easier than you can imagine. Remember, if your Miniature Schnauzer does not learn to “listen”, all your training efforts will be in vain!
Does your Miniature Schnauzer know his name? Does your Miniature Schnauzer look at you whenever you call him by his name? This is the first and the most critical step involved in Miniature Schnauzer Training. If your Miniature Schnauzer doesn’t respond to his name, you cannot have his attention for teaching him any other commands.
To make sure that your Miniature Schnauzer recognizes his name, take a treat in your hand and hold it away from your body. Call your Miniature Schnauzer’s name. He is most likely to look at the treat in your hand. Continue calling his name untill he turns and looks at your eyes. Give him the treat immediately. Repeat this exercise by holding the treat in the other hand. Once you’re sure that your Miniature Schnauzer has learnt to recognize his name, just call his name and reward him for looking at you by petting or with a hug.
You must understand that Miniature Schnauzers respond far better to positive reinforcement than they do to coercion or force.
Copyright (c) 2017 TrainPetDog.com