Bathing your Miniature Schnauzer should be easy. Make sure you have everything you need available and ready at hand, such as towels, shampoo etc.
Unlike humans, dogs should not be bathed daily.
Sometimes you might think that your Miniature Schnauzer needs to have a bath but it is not right to be bathing your dog too often.
So, how Often Should You Bath Your Miniature Schnauzer?
Bathing your Miniature Schnauzer Once a Fortnight is Enough
Your Miniature Schnauzer should not be bathed more than once in two weeks.
In other words, do not bath your Miniature Schnauzer every week. Once every second week is enough bathing for your dog.
Bathing your Miniature Schnauzer too often will dry his skin and can cause irritation that will upset him. This will make life unpleasant for both of you. The last thing you need is your dog to be scratching himself because of an itchy skin caused by too much bathing.
Items Needed When Bathing Your Miniature Schnauzer
- Suitable Bath Tub
- Shower Spray (if possible)
- Gentle Dog Shampoo
- Plenty of Towels
- Soft Slicker Comb
- Slicker Brush
- Hair Dryer
Before Bathing Your Miniature Schnauzer
- You will need to brush your dog’s hair to find and remove any knots.
- It is important to remove the knots before wetting your dog’s hair as the knots will be more difficult to get rid of once they become wet.
- To brush the hair use a soft slicker brush and comb over all of his/her body.
- When all knots have been removed, then it is time to place your Miniature Schnauzer in the bath tub.
Use Luke Warm Water to Bath Your Miniature Schnauzer
- Before putting water in the bath tub you may wish to place a towel at the bottom to stop your Miniature Schnauzer from slipping, and making it difficult for you to hold on to him while bathing.
- Then test the water to make sure it is not too hot, or too cold.
- When you have placed your dog in the bath of water and have made his fur wet, then it is time to rub the gentle dog shampoo through his hair.
- Do not put the shampoo near his eyes.
- Rub the shampoo into his hair from the neck downwards, covering all parts of his body below the neck.
- Then shampoo your dog’s beard and carefully wash the rest of his head. See To Wash Your Miniature Schnauzer’s Face below.
- When you have made sure that your dog’s hair is completely cleaned with the shampoo, thoroughly rinse the shampoo off with lukewarm water. Continue rinsing your dog’s hair until the water from his body is no longer colored. The water needs to be clear before you stop rinsing.
To Wash Your Miniature Schnauzer’s Face
- Use a wet cloth to wash your dog’s face, making sure you gently clean around the eyes and ears. Then use a soft towel to dry the face.
- Before putting your Miniature Schnauzer in the bathtub, place a cotton ball in each ear to prevent water getting into his ears. This is particularly important if you are using a shower spray to wet your dog, or rising off the shampoo.
Drying Your Miniature Schnauzer After Bathing
- Place your dog on a large thick towel that will stop the water from his body running all over the floor or table that you have placed him on.
- Then towel dry his body to remove all excess water.
- Hold your Miniature Schnauzer firmly to stop him from shaking himself to get rid of the water he can feel on his body.
- When all the water is removed from your dog’s body, then dry him / her off with a hair dryer on low to medium heat.
Do not have the dryer on the hottest setting as this could cause discomfort to your Miniature Schnauzer
Watch how well behaved this Miniature Schnauzer is in the bath tub:
When you have completed drying your Miniature Schnauzer he will now be looking fresh and smart. But if further grooming is required to make him smarter still, then more information can be found on this website by going to Grooming a Miniature Schnauzer.
2 thoughts on “Bathing Your Miniature Schnauzer”
My mini is allergic even to the shampoos so I bathe him with pure olive oil soap. He comes out soft and shiny.
Katherine, thanks so much for your comment. I’m so pleased that you found an alternative to shampoo for bathing your Miniature Schnauzer. Allergies can be devastating and so hard to deal with.
I appreciate you sharing your experience. This could be helpful should another dog owner read your comment.
Best wishes to you and your mini.
Comments are closed.